Sunday 6 February 2011

Finding Myself in Bulgaria


So you’ve been wondering (or not) about the title of my blog. ‘Tuk ne e Amerika’ (Here [Bulgaria] is not America’) is a phrase I used to hear a lot when I first arrived in Bulgaria and was confronted with the realities of trying to get seemingly simple things done, like mailing a letter or paying a bill. Instead of mailing a check – the check has never been a method of payment here – you actually stood in line at the post office (telephone bill) or at a payment center (electric) to take care of the monthly ‘zadulzheniya’ (obligations or debts). So I would reach the front of the line and, sparked perhaps by my obvious ‘otherness’ or my ineptness with the Bulgarian language, the exchange with the cashier would almost invariably include some reference to the fact that things here are, well, different.

Sometimes it was ‘Tuk ne e Amerika, na li?’ The last words turned the phrase into a well-meaning question with an inflection suggesting sympathy for my supposed suffering in a strange environment. If I had a complaint, it was ‘Vizhte kakvo, tuk ne e Amerika!’  – an all-purpose explanation or excuse for the way things stood, offered in lieu of an apology that nothing could be done, usually because ‘ne zavisi ot men’(it doesn’t depend on me); or it was served with a side order of ‘kakvo iskate, 500 godini…’ (what do you want, 500 years…) All of these statements had so many hidden implications, of a feeling of undeserved inferiority or subservience, of a national history of oppression (500 years under the ‘Turkish Yoke’, then 50 of Communism, now 20 of Transition), of a feeling of disorientation during the early, surly years of the Transition to Democracy. Their message to me was that I, a priori as an American, had unreasonably high expectations that needed to be shelved, discarded, or at least rethought to conform with ‘Bulgarskata deistvitelnost’ (the Bulgarian reality)

One of the thematic threads of Bulgariana, Randall Baker’s engaging account of living as an ex-pat in Bulgaria, is that so much that is so typically Bulgarian – and so different from what we experience in the US – is actually showing us how misguided the American lifestyle really is. Baker's narrative is infused with that hopeful sense of embarking on each new day in Bulgaria as a fresh adventure, of relishing in the small – and usually pleasant – surprises that you are sure to encounter here.  As an American living in Bulgaria, I share a similar MO, and see it not as a set of survival skills, but as a redefining of who I am and what my life can be, both on a short- and long-term basis. Here I have learned that the real nature of a situation is determined by how you choose to look at it ('zavisi i ot men!'); that great joy can be derived from things that from another perspective would have gone unnoticed; and that the concept expressed by G. B. Shaw (or was it Anonymous?) that “life isn’t about finding yourself; it’s about creating yourself” is worth embracing.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting to me that today, here in America (and at my advancing age of 68), I too had a self-creating experience. I learned how easily and naturally I could provide a public apology (to all of the members of the social network I set up for our residential development, for a bad job I did very recently handling a discussion on the network that my blunder allowed to spiral out of hand and result in some hurt feelings). I couldn't have predicted beforehand how easy it would be to apologize, how readily I took complete responsibility upon myself, with no inclination at all to find excuses to minimize my culpability or shift it elsewhere. The resulting feeling of having cleansed myself and possibly even provided an example of contrition that could serve everyone who might take thought is about as good a feeling as I've had lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff, I see from Randall Baker's website that he was a visiting scholar in Bulgaria in 1992. Did you happen to meet him back around then, or did you perhaps find him only through his books?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first met him last year when he joined the BG-Am Fulbright Commission board, which I've been on for about 2 years now. His triple book launch in Sofia last April was what drew my attention to his writings. Did you check out his website?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it was from his website that I learned of his 1992 Bulgaria connection

    ReplyDelete