Tuesday 18 January 2011

Today around Rila


This week is the start of the spring semester at the American University in Bulgaria. One of the many joys of teaching at AUBG is the campus’s proximity to one of Bulgaria’s most beautiful regions, the western slopes of the Rila mountain. Until a few years ago, I equated this area with the famous Rila Monastery – and nothing else. Having finally discovered some of its “secrets,” such as the excellent winery at Smochevo and the rock formations at Stob, I am now a permanent convert.  I’m sure this would happen to anyone who, driving south toward Blagoevgrad, turns off E-79 after Usoika and follows a little-used local road through the wooded hills leading to the Smochevo plateau. I remember the first time I took this route, a kind of “back entrance” into the town of Rila and the Rila Monastery beyond. The incredible panoramic view when I reached the Smochevo plateau was enhanced by the amazing late afternoon light, which – I later realized – gives this region its break-taking coloring in all of the seasons.

Here’s what I saw today in the late afternoon (4-5:30PM) light, driving into Rila from Smochevo (having left the panoramic views behind) and walking in the hills at the east end of town.






1 comment:

  1. Really, really fine. I look forward to seeing this for myself in May. Thanks for the photos.
        The Rila Monastery, when I visited it in August 1993, was merely a curious human artifact; the countryside is profoundly there.

    ReplyDelete